Skip to main content

ATTENTION: Our DPS locations and tag agent offices are currently experiencing system issues that are causing longer wait times for customers. We are working right now to fix this problem as soon as possible. In the meantime, we ask customers with non-critical needs to consider delaying their visit. We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide an update as soon as we know more. Thank you for your understanding.

Transfer a License

  1. How do I transfer a valid (not expired) license from another state to Oklahoma?

    • If your license from another state is valid, take a primary and a secondary approved form of identification and your out of state license to a DPS Driver License Office. The written and driving test may be waived if department standards are met. If you possess an out-of-country license please contact a Driver Examiner to find out if the tests can be waived. Even if your written and driving tests are waived, you will still be required to take a vision test.

    • Also, Oklahoma state law requires new applicants for an Oklahoma driver license or ID card to show proof of legal presence in the United States. Along with your primary and secondary identification, you will need to bring a U.S. Passport, U.S. birth certificate or Certificate of Naturalization to show you are a citizen of the United States or an immigration document showing you are legally in the United States. Once your process is complete at DPS, you will be given an authorization form that you can take to any one of the 276 Motor License Agents across the state that issue driver license. They will process your paperwork, collect all necessary fees and print your Oklahoma license.

Upon establishing Oklahoma residency, your vehicle must be registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission. (see your local Motor License Agent) This may not apply to military personnel and their spouses.


Last Modified on Oct 26, 2020
Back to Top