Skip to main content

ATTENTION: Our DPS locations and tag agent offices are currently experiencing system issues that are causing longer wait times for customers. We are working right now to fix this problem as soon as possible. In the meantime, we ask customers with non-critical needs to consider delaying their visit. We apologize for the inconvenience and will provide an update as soon as we know more. Thank you for your understanding.

Graduated Driver License

NEW GRADUATED DRIVER LICENSE (GDL) House Bill 1599 requires teens to apply for the license which restricts their driving time to the hours of 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. with the exceptions for driving to work, school, church or related activities, or if a licensed driver over 21 years of age is seated next to the teenager. The bill also prevents teenage drivers from chauffeuring their friends around town, prohibiting teens with a restricted license from driving with multiple passengers younger than 21 (other than family). Listed below are some questions and answers about Oklahoma's Graduated Driver License law and how it affects young people under the age of 18.

  1. What is GDL?

    • GDL stands for "Graduated Driver License". The GDL program gradually phases in driving privileges for new teen drivers as they gain experience behind the wheel.
  2. Why do we need a GDL program?

    • Because Oklahoma's teenage drivers have more crashes than any other age group. This is one reason insurance premiums are so high for teen drivers. During their first year of driving, 25% of 16 year-olds either receive a ticket or are involved in a crash.
  3. Do other states have GDL, too?

    • Yes, all 50 states have some version of Graduated Driver License, as established by their laws.
  4. What happens if I am convicted of a traffic offense?

    • You will remain at your current GDL level (learner or intermediate) until six (6) months from the date of conviction has elapsed.
  5. Does the driver education course I take have to be given by a high school?

    • No. You may take any driver education course that has been certified by the Department of Public Safety, including parent-taught driver education and licensed commercial driving schools. Click here for more information.


Last Modified on Oct 15, 2020
Back to Top