Skip to main content

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is extending the REAL ID full enforcement date by 19 months, from October 1, 2021 to May 3, 2023, due to circumstances resulting from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.


Commercial driver license (CDL) and commercial learner permit (CLP) expiration dates have been extended by FMCSA until November 30, 2021, as long as they were not expired prior to March 1st, 2020. Medical certificate and variance expiration dates have been extended until November 30, 2021, as long as they were not expired prior to June 1, 2021.


DPS and tag agents are now offering eight (8) year driver licenses and identification cards. Fees are double the four (4) year option.


Driver License/Oklahoma Identification

  1. What are the fees for a driver license?

    • All driver license and ID card types and fees can be found by clicking here.
  2. If I fail my driving test, when can I return for my next test?

    • The Department shall conduct the road test for the holder of a restricted class D driver license not more than three (3) times, each time at least 1 day apart or as instructed by the examiner, beginning thirty (30) days from the date of issuance of the restricted license. 
    • Should the applicant fail the third examination, the applicant shall wait thirty (30) days before qualifying to be given another road test. If the applicant does not have a restricted license (learners permit) they are required to obtain one. 
    • The fourth and subsequent examinations shall be given not more than one (1) time every thirty (30) days thereafter at the request of the restricted licensee. 
    • The thirty (30) days starts from the last skill test date.
  3. What do I do after I take my driving skills tests from a designated examiner?

    If you have taken your driving skills test from one of the certified designated examiners listed below, and they are able to print the necessary paperwork, you may go directly to a Motor License Agent (Tag Agent) to have your restriction * #9 removed. If the designated examiner is unable to print the paperwork, you will have to visit a DPS Driver License Exam office in order to get the paperwork necessary to have your restriction *#9 removed from your learner permit. You may now make an appointment using the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety's new online appointment scheduler where available. The Inline Online system will allow you to schedule a time to come to DPS to get your paperwork that you will need to take to your local Tag Agent to issue your driver license. You will need to bring the DPS form (DL-18DE) that the designated examiner gave you when you passed your test.

  1. I recently changed my name and moved. Do I need to notify you of a CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME?

    • Yes, Oklahoma law requires anyone holding an Oklahoma Driver License or Identification Card to update the license by visiting a DPS facility or tag agent and applying for a new credential. You can also apply online at and change your address and have a new credential mailed to you.


Last Modified on Apr 01, 2021
Back to Top