Skip to main content

Basic Needs and Services Resources

DHS Office Location
Contact the local Department of Human Services agency for help obtaining food.  Each county has at least one county office.
DHS Benefts Page The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, is a federal program that enables low-income families and individuals to buy nutritious food with Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards.  SNAP recipients spend their benefits to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores.  Go to the DHS Benefits page to apply for SNAP.
Oklahoma Food Pantries
BritVil Community Food Pantry  


Many churches, as well as local faith based and non-profit organizations, have limited clothing available. Contact a local church, organization or community action agency in your area to request a clothing donation upon release.  Each organization may have their own criteria for donating clothing to an ex-offender, such as requiring a copy of a prison discharge.  Additionally, the Salvation Army and Good Will have thrift stores that sell used clothing at greatly reduced prices. 

The United Way is another valuable resource.  They may be able to provide you with contact information regarding places in your area that can supply you with free or low cost clothing.

Good Will
Salvation Army United Way

Immediate short term housing includes homeless shelters, temporary residences for homeless people, and transitional housing programs assist people who are ready to move beyond the shelter to a more independent living situation. Transitional programs allow individuals and families to further develop the stability, confidence, and coping skills needed to sustain permanent housing.  If ready for independent living apart from shelters and transitional housing, choose independent housing such as apartment, rental house, or mortgage.
Another barrier to independent living is the cost of utilities. Some units include all utilities in the rent and are generally advertised as "All Bills Paid."  For those that do not, check into the three major utilities: electricity, water (trash and sewage are usually included), and natural gas (or propane.)  Most utility companies require a deposit before turning on service. The companies may allow you to pay out the deposit monthly with your regular usage bill. If you had service with the company in the past and left an unpaid bill, the utility company will generally require that the old bill be paid and a new deposit paid before turning on the service.  Contact the utility department of the city offices for town/city in which you will be residing and ask which electric company and natural gas company you need to contact.  If you have your own residence and have temporary difficulty paying your utilities, contact a Community Action Agency, local church, Salvation Army, or other utility assistance program for help.
Upward Transitions Homeless Shelter Directory
The Homeless Alliance
Housing Authority of the City of Shawnee Oklahoma City Housing Authority Stillwater Housing Authority
Tulsa Housing Authority Housing and Urban Development
Last Modified on May 09, 2022
Back to Top