

October 28th, 2025 Meeting Minutes

3:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Meeting Location: Virtual

Welcome and Opening Comments

Tara: Thank you for attending today, we were supposed to have an in-person meeting, but we did have to switch it to virtual due to some conflicting schedules. Souzan will not be in attendance today, but we do have Zach here. He's going to help me double team this and get things going. Thank you as always for your updates, doing the work and getting the progress reports in. We do have one pending, which we'll get taken care of today and get it to Zach. Jennifer is working on the final STIC report as well. Zach, I'll toss it over to you.

Zach: Good afternoon, everyone, apologies as Souzan had a scheduling conflict and couldn't be here with us today. Thank you for your hard work on the progress reports and your flexibility, it's greatly appreciated. EDC 8 has had no new developments. It is coming, as far as when and what it's going to look like, we don't know yet. More to come on that, that's all I have. I'll turn it back over to you, Tara, Thank you.

Tara: Let's go ahead and get started. As of right now, we do not have anything on Standing Committee on Pre-Construction. I know Tim Tegler is gone, I'll need to get with Daniel and Justin and work with FHWA to see who's going to be that standing committee chair. Let's move on to the Standing Committee on Construction, Materials, and Maintenance, on the combined EDC-7 & STIC initiative. Matt, I'll turn it over to you.

Standing Committee on Construction, Materials, and Maintenance (Matt Romero)

EDC-7 & STIC Innovation Combined Efforts:

Enhancing Performance with Internally Cured Concrete & Pilot Internal Curing for Bridge Decks

(ODOT Champion: Matt Romero/Walt Peters/Nairi Matevosyan - FHWA Champion: Ralph Nguyen & Waseem Fazal)

Matt: Walt and Tyler have been working diligently on doing some work with a pilot project out in Division 6. I'll let Walt give you the latest and greatest on our internally cured bridge project.

Walt: We got a report and presentation from Dr. Lay. It appears that there were some concrete issues that interfered with the performance of the product on the north bridge. It was a colloidal silica on the south bridge where we had the internal curing. On the north end, the contractor was told that his air was too high and to take it back. Dr. Lay noticed they had some very small concrete quantities. The concrete company took out 20%, added a new 20% and took it back to the job, which meant it sat in the truck a long time which caused temperature variations. The north bridge had more cracks than we wanted to see. We were very disappointed. The south bridge, the internal curing also had cracks. There may have been some concrete issues that may not have received enough water in the aggregate. Dr. Lay is going to continue his study on the batch tickets, complete testing and write a final report. Personally, I'd like to see us try at least internal curing somewhere else. Matt, do you want to add that?

Matt: No, I think you're right on track. I don't want to give up on that technology. As far as the chemical additive that we were trying. Based on other DOTs feedback, I don't know that we want to pursue that anymore. I'm getting mixed opinions on that. The lead state that was handling it is looking at getting away from the use of that material. I don't want to give up on the aggregate. This may be something that we get with Jason's team to try and find another location to try to do the internally cured concrete correctly. I've been in contact with Dolese, talked to them about it and they seem to be willing to work with us on trying it somewhere else.

Tara: Questions?

Justin: Was there any value or is it too soon to tell?

Matt: We did see some value in it, even though the internally cured aggregates were not used the way they were supposed to have been done. I think if we can get the procedure done correctly, we'll see some benefits out of it. As far as the chemical, and talking to other states, I don't think that chemical is something we want to pursue any further. But the aggregate is a viable option and I think we really should investigate that some more.

Walt: When your control does better than your experimental data, it's disappointing. I think it'd be difficult to salvage anything out of this.

Tara: I want to convey appreciation efforts with Walt, Matt and Dr. Lay by getting those progress reports updated and handling the invoicing. I think we've gotten that all taken care of and we're on a track. Let's move on to the next one: Innovative High-Performance Geotextiles for Stabilization of Problematic Roadway Subgrades. Bryce? Zach, I see your hand up.

Zach: Are there any concerns with the longevity of that structure?

Walt: We thought we could get by with a good application of silane. I would encourage using the silane that has 90-100% solids. I'm hoping to get a good life out of that bridge deck.

Matt: The data that Dr. Lay presented to us, the cracking is not anything that isn't uncommon that we see in other places. No concerns about longevity. It's disappointing that we didn't get to see the results we're hoping to see.

Tara: Thank you, guys. Bryce you're next.

Innovative High-Performance Geotextiles for Stabilization of Problematic Roadway Subgrades
(ODOT Champion: Bryce Hanlon - FHWA Champion: Waseem Fazal)

Bryce: Since my last update, OU finally solidified their setup. OU is currently averaging about one model per month due to the length of testing and the difficulty in removing and prepping the models. They are in contact with a few ODOT construction engineers that are potentially going to be using alternate geosynthetics on near-future projects, so hopefully a non-Mirifi product will be tested next. The results are beginning to show the variance in strength/capacity with the varying layers, geosynthetics, aggregate base thickness, and soil density, but much more testing is going to be required to try to identify a strength variable for the geosynthetic fabrics. OU is continuing the cyclic load plate testing and has started testing Hanes geotextile products to compare with the Mirifi products that we have historically used. The initial results look promising, but they still have a lot more work to do. I think every 3 to 4 weeks they're able to do a different setup, a different base geotextile combination. They're creating a database of results that they can eventually develop a report for. Hopefully, at our next meeting we'll have visual evidence showing the comparisons for all Hanes products. This is a long-term project; I think it'll definitely have good rewards by the end of it.

Tara: Thank you, Bryce. Any questions? Next up it's one of our newly approved projects. Increase Testing Capacity of Field Residencies for BMD Implementation. David is the ODOT champion, since it's just getting started, I know we may not have many updates. I'll turn it over to David.

Increase Testing Capacity of Field Residencies for BMD Implementation
(ODOT Champion: David Vivanco - FHWA Champion: Waseem Fazal)

David: This will be a part of our ongoing project that is already in place for ongoing BMD implementation. We've been working on this for about 8 years, and we've made a lot of progress. We're taking this from the lab and design to the field. We need to complete all residencies and find different funding sources. We have six load frames with an approximate cost of \$61k. They are gonna be available for purchase in December. We're also looking for projects for the next round of pilot projects with the BMD effort next year. We can put together six additional projects that are going to be focused mostly on rejuvenators and the use of recycled materials. That will be our main focus for next year's projects. We're also going to deploy BMD during design statewide for next year. This is going to help us equip those residencies to start putting BMD projects out there and field testing.

Wassim: Those six load frames you're buying are the same manufacturer you already had before?

David: Yes, we plan to obtain the same for consistency across the state.

Wassim: Technically this is the implementation of the BMD?

David: Yes, the cost of the frames is about 9500 each.

Matt: Justin, if you can find us more money, we need a few more. We still need to obtain more load frames for the rest of the residencies. I've had a conversation with Shawn, he is aware. We did discuss that we didn't want to get them all at once and then have to try to figure out how to get them all dispersed.

David: At this point with the training efforts, we've updated the asphalt materials certification to include this test. We're actually training technicians on these already. ODOT, consultants and producers and everybody that's certified for asphalt materials. We've also done supplemental training in the residences that have load frames and in central lab. We've trained around 200 technicians already.

Matt: We've in the process of purchasing 2 load frames for the training center so those technicians who are learning the test, learning to run the test, will be able to perform that test at the training center. When they get their own load frame at the residencies, they are already familiar with it. They know how to use it, they've played with it, they know how it works.

Tara: Questions? Thank you, David. Let's move on to safety, mobility and technology. I know for the most part most of it's been done and implemented, and we haven't really had any updates but wanted to check in with Caitlyn or Alan on that one. It looks like Caitlyn is having some mic issues. We'll move on to Marty if he has any updates.

Standing Committee on Safety, Mobility, and Technology

EDC-7 Innovation:

Next-Generation Traffic Incident Management: Integrating Technology, Data, and Training

(ODOT Champion: Caitlyn Carolus & FHWA Champion: James Bui)

Caitlyn chatted: No updates as of right now.

Tara: Thank you. I know this one is almost wrapped up on the EDC side. Marty?

Nighttime Visibility for Safety

(ODOT Champion: Marty Farris & FHWA Champion: Huy Nguyen)

Kendall: Marty is on a trip and not able to join but I'm filling in. No huge updates, our I-40 Shawnee Lighting interchange project let in September, so we're excited to see that construction begin.

Tara: Questions? We'll move on to Lance on AI and Machine Learning Team Project.

STIC Incentive Projects:

Transportation AI Projects Team

(ODOT Champion: Lance Underwood & FHWA Champion: Huy Nguyen)

Lance: Roadway image recognition initiative, that's moving into the third phase. In July, we successfully deployed the full product into production. At this point, we've loaded nearly all of the 2023 image data in the GCP. As of the end of last week, we had 69 out of the 77 counties. We anticipate in the next couple of weeks we'll have the entire year collected and processed through.

Part of it is continuing to improve the accuracy of the modelling, expanding the asset types and just getting more and more specific about the things that AI can point out to us. The goal is to catch up on all of the imaging data all the way up to this current point in time. And then we'll have all that processed through with GCP. The GIS team has started using the interface, I showed them some of the screenshots of the different heat map interfaces. There's a filter interface by asset type and grouping. There are a few different features the team can use to start leveraging that interface. My hope is that by our next meeting I'll be able to give updates on some of the efficiencies gained especially since it took us two years to get through one year of images. I'm certain that our efficiency will go up from there.

The second initiative: we're working with a vendor named Phase 2. They're going to experiment with Council of Agents. Scan through deeds, even if it was handwritten and pull out the parcel information about where that deed is located and convert that into a traverse file that can be loaded to a GIS product like Esri and have a map of all of the deed locations. That's going to allow us to cut down on AI hallucinations where it fills in the blanks with inaccurate data. It's going to increase the accuracy of the data that we do pull out. We're looking at not just using those LLMS, but multiple LLMS to help increase the confidence level of the data that we're processing through.

As part of that effort, we're coordinating with Content Management to continue scanning those paper deeds. The count at one point was a little over 250,000 paper documents. Our goal is to get all the Comanche County deeds scanned and we'll use those as proof of concept moving forward with that vendor. The goal of that output is going to be to run through every single scanned document we have and then we'll be able to turn that data over to the GIS team to take us forward into the next steps with that initiative.

Tara: We're submitting the image recognition project to AIM (AASHTO Innovation Management) today. It's a way for DOTs to share different innovative ways they're doing things, being more efficient, etcetera. We might have the opportunity to share that at one of the annual meetings coming up if we're chosen. Questions for Lance? Let's move on to Jenny. This is another new one that recently started. This is for public involvement with a certain software system with public input.

Piloting a Public Involvement Software Platform for Oklahoma DOT

(ODOT Champion: Jenny Droscher – FHWA Champion: William Rowe)

Jenny: We're working with the Third-Party Solutions team, publicinput.com, and our Government and Community Affairs division to get things moving. Next steps, we'll be doing an orientation for our team and bring on the software and implement it into our public involvement and community engagement.

Tara: This one is exciting, along with the community engagement plan we're wrapping up and getting this as a public platform, we can test the waters with public sentiment, public meetings, things like that.

Jenny: We've settled on the software over the others because it has a comprehensive multi-channel input collection. It can do web, texting, e-mail, it can take all of that and consolidate it and make it searchable. It also has full support for NEPA administrative record traceability so that it can follow our full NEPA process. It has Geo mapping and demographic tracking so that we can make sure that we are letting everybody know. We can look at where our comments come from and see the area of the community that isn't giving us any input or feedback, then we can specialize our outreach to that group. They have tools to help facilitate online hearings, helping facilitate online portions of a hearing. It has a lot of great qualities and is transportation focused.

John: ACOG is also purchasing this software. It also has good language capabilities too for different folks to reach a broader audience.

Tara: Our Third-Party Solutions team will help document what all is accessible, how to use it, creating user guides, etcetera, even outside of what publicinput has on their own. For internal ODOT users or the public. A lot of different areas within ODOT looking at this and excited to see how it goes.

Waseem: Are there any recurring charges?

Jenny: Yes, there is a subscription fee, and our office of Government and Community Affairs is picking up part of the subscription for this pilot. Then there will be a yearly subscription fee, if ODOT chooses to move forward with it.

Waseem: How is the procurement being done, is ODOT making the procurement or is it the state?

Tara: ODOT, they're an approved vendor through the state that we can use. OMES handles the IT aspect, but we are procuring it through publicinput. We'll probably do a one-year contract to make sure it provides everything we need for this pilot phase. Up next is Jennifer for the strategic workforce development. There haven't been a lot of updates on this front but I wanted to check in with Jennifer.

Standing Committee on Special Initiatives

EDC-7:

Strategic Workforce Development

(ODOT Champion: Jennifer Hankins & FHWA Champion: Viprav Reddy)

Tara: She's not on today but I had previously talked to her. That initiative is two parts with STIC & EDC 7. She's working on the final STIC report because that one is done and complete. There haven't been too many updates on the EDC 7 side. Questions? I can try and answer any or reach out to Jennifer. That brings us to the end of the current initiatives and EDC 7 projects.

Closing Comments:

Tara: As Zach previously mentioned, we're anticipating EDC 8 to come out. When that occurs, the committee will get together and see which ones we want to look at, pursue and move forward with.

Outside of that, I want to give a huge thank you to everyone for attending and all of the work and efforts put into the progress of the current EDC 7 & STIC initiatives.

Zach: Thank you for all your efforts on this, your hard work doesn't go unrecognized.

Tara: Any last comments, questions or concerns? I appreciate you all and we'll see you in January.