Did You Know September 27, 2021
Busy, busy, busy!!! So much to do at this time of the year! I don’t know about you all, but I’m ready for some rain! Last week I had the opportunity to do an accreditation site visit at Western Tech (Burns Flat, Sayre, Weatherford, Hobart and Elk City) and it was great—one best practice to bring back to you all is to consider adding a Short Term Adult or BIS Coordinator on your full-time advisory committee! Another idea was to have like programs visit across campuses; bring in everyone who works with Long Term Care to meet as a group (short term and full time) to share ideas and strategies for your region.
- First in the lineup today is an article on Educational Resources for Teaching Cultural Diversity and Inclusiveness by Feedspot Today. That’s where I get a lot of my content for you all! : Educational Resources for Teaching Cultural Diversity and Inclusiveness | Educational Technology and Mobile Learning (educatorstechnology.com)
- Attached to this email are two documents regarding follow-up. Regardless of whether you teach in a high school or tech center, the dates to turn follow-up in for your students has changed!! (For newbies, you will be finding students from last years’ class and finding out what they are currently doing (employed, school, etc.) what certifications earned, etc. Please note—the dates are MUCH EARLIER than in years past!! You will have two months (Oct. 1-Nov. 30) to enter your information.
- Thanks to Dustin Hicks of Meridian Technology—He has posted “Healthcare Simulation Standards of Best Practice” to the Simulation course on ctyou.org under HEALTH. You may also access the standards here: Healthcare Simulation Standards of Best Practice - INACSL
- Last call for the Long Term Care Workshop that will be held on Tuesday, October 5, 2021 on Zoom. There is no cost to register, but we do need to know who is there. Even if you share a screen Tuesday morning (from 8:30-11:30), you need to register individually. We will make certificates off of the registration page and by following up who is in the session. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/long-term-care-nurse-aide-instructorcoordinator-workshop-virtual-tickets-170144405497 The zoom link will be sent out the day before the conference.
- Don’t forget to sign up for the virtual Biology Test study session that will be held on Thursday, October 7, 2021 from 8:30am-11:30am. The course will be facilitated by Starla Ewan from TX and she can’t wait to see your eager little faces! You may register (to receive a certificate) here and the zoom address will be https://zoom.us/j/8822491946 Meeting ID: 882 249 1946
Feel free to forward this opportunity on to others who may be interested. As a reminder, there are other resources on the learning management system http://ctyou.org You would need to register for an account if you haven’t, select HEALTH, then BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE STUDY MATERIALS. Accidently, a code was restricting access, but that has been removed now.
- For those of you who attended the Health Science Educator’s Association New Teacher Bootcamp this past weekend, THANKS!! If you missed it, the four hour session (45’x 5 presenters) will be archived on http://www.healthscienceconsortium.org
- Speaking of the webinar, this week’s featured webinar is “Music Therapy: The Intersection of Musical Arts & Science in Healthcare” and is being presented by Rebecca Priddle & Jane Creagan. The Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2021 at 3pm CST webinar has open registration at: Meeting Registration - Zoom
- Next weeks’ webinar will be presented by Denise DuBois and is titled “Activities and Resources for Teaching Sports Medicine Skills.” Register for this Oct. 6, 2021 (3pm) session here: Meeting Registration - Zoom I’ve seen this one, and it’s great!
- Oklahoma CareerTech is offering professional development courses in digital teaching and learning that allows educators to explore the International Society for Technology in Education standards for both teachers and students. Both in-person and virtual sessions of Exploring Digital Teaching and Learning Through the ISTE Standards are planned. While discussing the standards for teachers, participants will assess their level of engagement in activities aligned to the standards and/or indicators. They will also review the standards for students and use the indicators to write performance tasks for each, based upon appropriate content and grade level for which participants teach. Sessions are free, but registration is required
- Check out this instructor on TedTalks—"Engaging Students with Digitally-Powered Socratic Seminars” Great advice, great technology…..allowing students to take charge! (18) Engaging students with digitally-powered Socratic Seminars | Martine Brown - YouTube
- If you decide not to attend the NCHSE webinar on Music Therapy this week, consider joining the National Association of Health Care Assistants “Working with Multiple Generations” on Wednesday, Sept. 29 at 3pm Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_N_Qc-r0BRTagSXGkS7IOhg I love that this organization has so many great topics for Nursing Assistants! Adult coordinators—you could use these for continuing ed training for facilities!!
- Advance CTE released Brave Dialogues: A Guide to Discussing Racial Equity in Career Technical Education to provide state CTE leaders with tools to become better equipped and motivated to begin and continue discussions that right the wrongs in CTE. It also supports state CTE leaders in creating an environment in which their state teams, local intermediaries, business partnerships and policymakers have the language and comfort to discuss challenges and opportunities related to racial equity in CTE.
Through six sessions ranging from 60 to 90 minutes, this guide will walk participants of brave dialogues through readings, videos and other work that allow participants to become aware, gain the knowledge and develop skills to support critical self-reflection.
- Session 1: Identity
- Session 2: Implicit Bias
- Session 3: Privilege
- Session 4: Equality vs. Equity
- Session 5: Structural Racism
- Session 6: Equity- Minded Policy and Practice
This new resource is a part of the Making Good on the Promise Series confronting the negative aspects of CTE’s legacy and defining the key challenges learners face today. It is generously funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Specifically for Oklahoma CareerTech instructors!!! Precision Exams by YouScience is offering a Certification Workshop for Educators!! Students who take Precision Exams are able to create a web-based portfolio including their certificates, aptitude-based career guidance assessment. Take this quick 5 question survey to select certification exams and share what date works best for you and check out their exam catalog! Precision Exams is the company that partners with NCHSE to offer the Health Science Exam and the sequence of four courses exams as well as many specific health certifications.
- I know I may have sent this before, but when you click the link, the Illinois Teacher of the Year gives testimony about this resource. And that’s good enough for me! Teachers' Guide to Critical Thinking | REBOOT FOUNDATION (reboot-foundation.org)
- Interactive Media applications…..they aren’t just for Teachers anymore!! Consider using one of the resources, or more if you want, to have students design a “lesson” they give the whole class. Are you covering A & P Body Planes and Directional Terms? Assign a module to a small group of students who will use one of these apps and then present the info to the class. Make assignments until the whole unit, or multiple units are covered. Remember—you don’t have to be the one to always do the work!! 10 EdTech Tools to Help Teachers Create Interactive Media-rich Lessons | Educational Technology and Mobile Learning (educatorstechnology.com)
- And finally….in the “how cool is this” category…….here are four great Chrome tools to help students learn new languages while browsing the internet! Depending on the application, they use the language of your choice (each has different options) and it will insert words or phrases into existing content. 4 Great Chrome Tools to Help Students Learn New Languages While Browsing The Internet | Educational Technology and Mobile Learning (educatorstechnology.com)
Do you have something awesome you’d like to share with other teachers? Something you’ve stolen from another teacher (like on the Health Science Educator’s Association facebook page) or created with your own fantastic brain? Shoot me a line! I’d love to hear about it and share it with others. Have you recently been in the newspaper (the what????) or recognized for your achievements? I’d love to know. Have a super-great week and let’s slide on into October—it’s coming up and you deserve it—fall break! 😊
“It is very difficult to have a meaningful life without meaningful work.”---Jim Collins