Did You Know May 11, 2021
Did You Know -- School is Almost Out?
Somehow, I’m guessing you DID know that! And adult instructors, please don’t think that I forgot that many of you work 11 or 12 month contracts! We at the state office feel your pain 😊
- Long Term Care Workshop—will be held virtually on June 9, 2021 via Zoom. In order to register, please go to this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/long-term-care-nurse-aide-instructorcoordinator-workshop-virtual-tickets-153497443987 When it gets closer, I’ll send a link to just those who are registered.
- On Thursday, April 29, 2021, the agency facilitated a panel discussion titled “Exploring Career Opportunities in Oklahoma Health Care”. It featured Patti Davis, Oklahoma Hospital Association, Jane Nelson, Oklahoma Nurses Association, Joe Akin, Stillwater Medical Center HR, and of course, myself. If you would like to watch the recording there was some interesting information shared that would impact not only you as teachers, but also our students. It might be a great, last week of school, one hour assignment the whole class could watch together. https://youtu.be/eg1iqF2lyRM
- HOSA—Future Health Professionals has their International Leadership Conference starting soon. If your student was a winner, remember to register them for ILC by May 15 (this Saturday). If they are in an event that requires documents be uploaded into Tallo, this also must be done by May 15. Cengage will be offering an opportunity for testing as they have the past few years in a number of years, and also, they are featuring a simulation demonstration through their Mind Tap curriculum: https://hosa.org/ngl-cengage/ Mind Tap Explorer Scavenger Hunt Information: All attendees who register for the 2021 HOSA VILC will receive a login to the MindTap Simulation Center and be able to access simulations from 12:00AM Wednesday, June 23rd through noon on Friday, June 25th EST. Collect the correct answers about health care professions from the MindTap Simulation Map as you delve into virtual activities and submit your findings for a chance to be acknowledged during the Grand Awards Ceremony: National Geographic Learning Awards on Saturday, June 26 and win a scholarship for you or your HOSA chapter. Learn more about the rules and details of the MindTap Explorer Scavenger Hunt at NGL.Cengage.com/HOSAILC
- Don’t leave for the summer without registering for Oklahoma Summit to be held on August 1 and 2 in Oklahoma City. We are excited to announce that registration for the 2021 Oklahoma Summit is now open. To register for the conference, go to: https://conference.okacte.org/User/Login There will be a $2 convenience fee for anyone paying with a credit card or e-check. The early bird registration ends on Monday, July 12. Attached you’ll find a document listing the cost for registration for our division, along with others. We are HEA. Housing is already open and Health Careers will be at the Embassy Suites, Norman for the second day of sessions. The Embassy Suite - Norman Hotel, 2501 Conference Dr, is located just off I-35 in Norman. Guest room rates: $96 Single, $106 Double, $116 Triple, and $126 Quad. Cut-off: July 11, 2021 -- Phone: 405-235-2780
- Don’t miss out on the largest Career and Technical Education virtual professional development event of 2021! Thanks to over 9,000 CTE educators and administrators in attendance last year, iCEV’s first-ever virtual conference was a huge success. This year, we’re going even bigger with more speakers, more sessions and more prizes! So go ahead and register for this event to be held July 27-29, then keep an eye out for important updates as more details become available. CTE Inspired is FREE, has amazing speakers like Temple Grandin, PhD, Daymond John from Shark Tank and Angela Duckworth, from Character Lab. There are 30 different strands with 90 different sessions and you can win a share of $75,000 in prizes!
- Did you know you can get Free Curriculum, Posters, Webinars, Lesson Plans, Training Tools, etc. from RealityWorks?
a. Career Exploration Curriculum: Career Exploration - Health Science - Realityworks
b. Posters: Free Posters | Realityworks | Innovative Learning Tools
c. Webinars: Realityworks Webinars | Innovative Hands-On Learning Tools
d. Health Science Training Tools: Health Science Training Tool Implementation - Realityworks
e. Geriatric Training Tools: Geriatric Training Tool Implementation - Realityworks
f. Soft Skills Implementation: Soft Skills Implementation - Realityworks
- Anatomy in Clay will host “Virtual Musculoskeletal & Body Systems Professional Development on July 14 & 15 10:30-5:30 Eastern Time. Register by May 21 and save $100; Early Bird Registration $575 which includes maniken model, clay, tools and instructional workbooks.
- This might be something your students can engage for community service activities in their CTSO. There are grants from $500 - $5000 to help them implement solutions to overcome challenges caused by the COVID – 19 pandemic. Give it a look. https://globalyouthmobilization.force.com/s/
- The Oklahoma Health Careers Education Teachers’ Association would like to invite you to the 2021 Oklahoma Simulation Conference. Besides last year during COVID precautions, this conference has been given every year in the spring for educators and industry alike!
- We are thrilled to bring you an abbreviated version that will be FREE of charge! On Wednesday, May 19th, please block off your morning to join the Simulation Thought-leaders in the state while we discuss the lessons of the pandemic on simulation education as well as offer an opportunity to discuss resources and best practices! For those who would like to see telehealth in action as part of a live simulation, we have you covered too!
- Attached you will find the agenda to the meeting. Please take a moment to review the agenda before you register for the conference. We would like to know your questions, comments and best practices that we can address as part of the conference format. You will be sent the Zoom conference information on Monday, May 17th. Please put the email where you would like to receive the notice in the registration. This will be sent to multiple email lists of past participants. Register: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/21si
10. Effective classroom management, especially when teaching remotely and in synchronous classrooms, is key to student success. In Part 2 of our 'Building the Roadmap' series this Wednesday, May 12 at 3:30PM ET, Dr. Kecia Ray talks with experts who will share their classroom management tips and best practices that keep their students engaged and on-track, as well as help the teacher more easily manage lesson delivery and assessment. ☕ Plus, enjoy a coffee on us! Attendees will receive a $5 Starbucks coffee voucher once they've attended as a thank you.* Join us for free by registering your attendance HERE.
11. Check out the new TED-Ed Educator Hub-- a community that brings passionate educators together to share how they are sparking curiosity, championing ideas, and pushing the status quo. When an educational institution signs up for TED Masterclass for Education, the course participants get automatic access to the TED-Ed Educator hub. Learn more about this resource here»
12. Don’t forget to register NEW TEACHERS session on July 6-7 for Instructors of high school students and July 8-9 for those who teach adults. If both are taught, choose which session you’d like to attend. Scroll to the bottom of the page: New Health Careers Education Teachers — CareerTech (CT) - okcareertech.org
13. How Cloud Adoption is changing Public School Education https://www.eschoolnews.com/2021/05/07/how-cloud-adoption-is-changing-public-school-education/
14. And finally, just for fun……I give you 50 tweets that sum up being a teacher this past year: https://www.eschoolnews.com/2021/05/07/how-cloud-adoption-is-changing-public-school-education/ The quote under the title says, “Teaching hybrid is a great way to remind yourself that things can always be worse than you ever imagined.” Can I get a ha ha out there? 😊
I hope to see everyone at next week’s simulation conference—remember, everything you’ve done in the last year is basically a simulation of reality, so come debrief…talk to others about what you’ve learned! Happy Second Week of May to all!!