Skip to main content

Provisional I Teacher Certification

Eligibility: Individuals must have at least two years of full-time experience in the subject area in which they have been employed to teach.

Application Steps

1. Complete Statement of Qualifications form: Download, complete and email the Statement of Qualifications document to ODCTE at .

2. Submit all transcripts: Send images of official transcripts from ALL colleges you have attended to the ODCTE at . Mail official transcripts to ODCTE, Attention: Teacher Certification, 1500 W. Seventh Ave, Stillwater, OK 74074. Note: If you have not attended any college, send verification of high school diploma or verification of having passed high school equivalency.

3. Completion of background check: Initiate a Fingerprinting and National Background Check. This is required for all new teachers, as a teaching certificate will NOT be issued until results are received by the State Department of Education. CRITICAL: Please select the option for "Teacher Certification" NOT "School Employment." Only the Teacher Certification background check will be accepted by the SDE for issuing a certificate.

4. Verify your employment: Request your superintendent or designee to complete the Verification of Employment form

5. Certification Plan: Contact Laurie Richison at 405-743-5482 for assistance developing a personalized CareerTech Certification Plan.

6. Submit payment: When all information has been received and processed, you will be instructed via email to log on to the SDE website to arrange payment and confirm your application.

Provisional Renewal (Year 1):

During your first year, you must complete the Approved Occupational Competency Exam or Approved Industry Credential AND attend New Teacher Academy in order to renew for another year.

Provisional Renewal (Years 2-5):

The Provisional I Certificate will need to be renewed annually before June 30. In order to qualify for renewals, the individual must successfully earn 6 credit hours of coursework towards the degree program (annually from year 2 through year 5). This process will result in the individual having at least 24 credit hours upon the completion of year 5 and qualifying for Provisional II certification.

- Mail official transcripts documenting 6 credit hours earned annually, before June 30 each year.

ODCTE, Attn: Teacher Certification, 1500 W. Seventh Ave., Stillwater, OK 74074

- Official electronic transcripts are also accepted if they are issued from the university to

When transcripts have been received and processed, the certificate will be renewed for another year. There is no fee for renewing a Provisional I Certificate.

Last Modified on Oct 04, 2021
Back to Top